Sunday, June 14, 2009

How Can I Change Gnome Panel Handle?

how do i change gnome panel handleSome say gnome is not easily configurable. Some say many of the gnome elements are hard-coded. I never bought this until lately when I could not change the gnome panel handle.

Knowledgeable gnome gurus please guide me how to change gnome panel handle or tell me where that panel handle icon is located. I just could not hit where that panel handle png or svg file resides. If I get it I will replace it with a transparent image cos I don't like panel handles.

-------------------------

Good heavens! At last I found a fix to change the default gnome panel handle. It's like this:

create a text file ".gtkrc-2.0" (without quotes) in your /home/user (in my case it is /home/manmath) directory, and place the following text in it.

style "handle"
{
engine "pixmap"
{
image
{
function = HANDLE
file = ".pixel.png"
border = { 0, 0, 0, 0 }
stretch = TRUE
orientation = VERTICAL
}
image
{
function = HANDLE
file = ".pixel.png"
border = { 0, 0, 0, 0 }
stretch = TRUE
orientation = HORIZONTAL
}
}
}
class "PanelAppletFrame" style "handle"

transparent gnome panel handleThe above configuration text replaces your panel handle with .pixel.png file. You can change the file name as you like. Here I have created a transparent hidden image file .pixel.png (to get rid of that ugly handle) in my /home/user directory.

Now I am happy with transparent gnome panel handle.

3 comments:

Peter said...

Worked perfectly for me, thanks! Although when I unchecked the Expand option under the panel properties the handles on the sides are still there :/ I guess I'll have to figure it out on my own this time ;)

manmath sahu said...

Thanks Peter for dropping by. Feels good that it worked for you.

Anonymous said...

Thanks soooooooo much. I've done away with the ugly handle as well :-)

How about this